Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey's Circus

Who doesn’t love a circus? Especially the “Greatest Show on Earth?”  Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey’s Circus?

Celebrating its 141st year, I got to be part of the media crew at the Amway Center, interviewing the performers Thursday morning before their first show called “Fully Charged” in Orlando scheduled for that night.

The new Amway Center opened in October 2010 but this was the first family show that arrived at the Amway Center so that was pretty exciting!

I talked to the clowns from clown alley, Kyle Barker, Rodger Fisher and Jeff  Ryan and Rudy Wallrabe who are professional clowns that have required a lot of work, including going through Clown College!  But they make clowning around look really easy and fun! I also talked to the more serious and amazing tight rope high wire walker Mustafa Abadan & his wife Anya.


Q.   What is it like to be part of the Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus?

A.   (Roger Fisher - Clown) “It’s amazing!  It’s been a lifelong dream of mine and a dream come true.  The traveling is great- we all love it.”


Q. How did you get involved being a part of the circus?

A. (Kyle Barker - Clown) “I auditioned in New York City in Madison Square Garden for our Clown College auditions about a two hour process. I didn't get the actual callback till much later. But this is something I've wanted to do my whole life.  My first show was when I was 5 and I’ve never missed a show since…my life is full of joy and laughter…seeing the children on the pre-show floor excited.  It’s great!”


Q. Did you have any training like dance, broadway or special skills when you started?  And how high have you ever gone on the high wire?

A. (Mustafa Abadan) “Starting out, 20 years ago, training was 8 hours a day. Now it’s 45 minutes a day doing warm ups on the low wire before going to the high wire before each show.  I just set the world
Record for going 220 feet higher and 616 feet longer.  I set 2 months ago for Guinness Book of World Records.


Q.  Being in the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus has to be the most amazing career - what is you favorite part of the circus and why?

A. (Kyle Parker - Clown)“Definetely traveling.  It’s fun to meet different types of people. I lived in Chicago all of my life and then joined the Army and it‘s interesting to see how people interact with each other in different areas.”


Q.  You travel by train, is that something you had to get used to?

A. (Rudy Wallrabe- clown) My room is 5x7.  It’s super small! I sit on my bed, I can reach the fridge. If I need to wash my hands- I just sit up.  It’s the coolest thing! Go from Tampa to Orlando, it just rocks you to sleep!

A. (Jeff  Ryan -clown) Once you are there for a little bit, it feels like home.

A (Rudy Wallrabe) - yeah, I wanted to surf the top of it - but they said that was illegal.


Q.  Do you have to have a good sense to humor to be in the circus?

A. (Mustofa Abadan - high wire walker) - “No you have to like it - because we have a danger act. Clowns have to be funny”


Q.  If you look around in the circus, who do you consider really amazing, and why?

A. (Mustofa Abadan - high wire, tight rope walker) - “For me is Taba (Tabayara Maluenda is one of the greatest animal trainers of all time with his 12 Bengal and white tigers)  he’s really amazing. Because he is speaking to the animals and he is with them, they are like his babies. It’s really amazing!”

No comments:

Post a Comment