Monday, September 6, 2010

Interview with Orlando Magic's Vince Carter









 

  Orlando Magic’s Vince Carter is known all over the world but he’s known in Daytona 

Beach as Vince Carter, a person with a caring heart and helping hand and…our star.

I talked to Vince Carter back in August 2009, when I first started my radio show and he

Was preparing for the Orlando Magic training before the season started.  It was a phone 

Interview and we talked about different stuff like Kai’s Closet- where he has his daughter

Learn the importance of giving by donating her clothes to the needy.

Well last week, I met up with Vince Carter during his Vince Carter Basketball Camp.

 It’s  something he’s very proud of and we went over to sit on the steps outside the

Gymnasium at Mainland High School and talked about stuff.


Q This is the 12th year for your basketball camp here in Daytona Beach.  But it really
Isn’t just a camp - it’s an academy where kids learn more about playing basketball?
And are the kids all local?
A.No, I have some kids from Spain, from Brazil, Orlando area-they come from all over.
We have a good time here as you got to see.  We incorporate basketball and life skills and how to have fun and meet new people and it’s been a great experience!

Q I talk to a lot of people - not just kids and they all have so many great things to say
About you and your mom.  Do you know how much you change peoples lives and how
Do you helping so many people change your life?
A I consider myself a good listener first of all and for all the people, they look up to me as an NBA superstar-the appreciation they have for me -they see I’m just a regular human
Being that likes to have fun-I’m just a big kid & I adapt to young kids.  I have to say, I get a lot of credit for the success of this camp - a lot of my coaches who are with these guys hour after hour coaching them, teaching them the skills from what I’ve learned- I have to 
Salute them as well. 

Q  Sometimes In basketball or with regular stuff you do - people can say mean things -
How do you handle it? Because I’m in middle school and kids can be really mean to me
Sometimes too?
A. Well, I’m sure you’ve heard the term, “Turn the other cheek?”  I think that’s the biggest comeback you can give to a person who says mean things- as much as it may hurt you inside. I think the consequence after having a verbal argument with them sontimes ends up negative.  You know we see the news and people are hurt because of an argument.  And it’s the hardest thing to do.  I think when a person is mean to you, makes fun of you or whatever, and you don’t say anything back to them I think it bothers them because their expecting you to have a verbal argument with them and they realize that they can’t get to you.  Like a wall- if you can’t crack a wall- you tend to leave it alone after a while.  And that’s the advice I’d give to you and just like myself, you look on blogs or on tv and everyone critizes critiques what I do and it’s frustrating - your human but at the same time, hold your head up high and be confident of who and what you’ve accomplished and what you want to accomplish and I guarantee you’ll go further than that person.

Q Do you have a favorite food and is it at your restaurant?
A. I’m a pasta lover. Italian. I have a favorite dish-2 different pasta dishes in my 
Restaurant. I’m not much of a seafood person.

Q. When you’re not playing basketball, what do you like to do? Hobbies?
A. I’m a homebody. I have 2 boston terriers-that are actually my daughters that I love
To play with.  I’m a computer techy.  I like electronics. I don’t watch much tv, or play video games(I have them but don’t really play them). I enjoy my friends.  One thing I
Kind of pride myself on is I like to learn a little about a lot of things. People have an
Appreciation for that because they think  “wow, he knows something about what I do”

Q.  Your slogan for your Embassy of Hope foundation is “Believe in your Dreams” I
Talked to Lucille O’Neal [Shaquille’s mom], and she said always “Dream Big”. Kids
Have a tough time reaching for stuff that seems impossible to achieve - how do you motivate them?
A. That’s one of the things my coaches and myself want them to learn.  We want them to learn how to reach for their goals -set them and reach for it.  It’s helping them to learn to persevere through tough times when that door closes or people tell you you can’t do it - not being aftaid to try again and I have 5 goals that I live by & they learn in the camp: Vision, Balance, Teamwork, Hardwork, and Perservere.  

Q Plans for the future? Next year?    
A. Continue to do my basketball camp because it’s something -I absolutely love doing  
It and it helps me feel free away from the “business” of the basketball.  Build other restaurants- Orlando, NJ, NC - in areas where I’ve lived and hopefully soon, you’ll see some more Vince Carter Restaurants.

With Vince Carters vision I think that will probably happen soon too.   

No comments:

Post a Comment